bjj canada
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the practitioners of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu to share advice on training, equipment, etc. So that we can all become better.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Technique of the week 1...Inverted Guard Helicopter Sweep

Go down 
AuthorMessage
tantantanuki

tantantanuki

Technique of the week 1...Inverted Guard Helicopter Sweep Empty
PostSubject: Technique of the week 1...Inverted Guard Helicopter Sweep   Technique of the week 1...Inverted Guard Helicopter Sweep Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 10:41 pm

In my BJJ classes we usually spend a bit of time learning/reviewing a technique. After a demonstration we break into pairs and give it a try. Of course we try to work our new chops into our rolling sessions too. But I have always found that I absorb a technique better if I continue to 'break down' and think about the mechanics and steps for a while. Sometimes I try writing it down. Sometimes I try going through the movements alone. And I usually watch videos. But even if I do all this, if I don't continue to use the technique, it fades and I forget how to do it. So, in the hopes of better remembering what I learn I want to create a technique diary. I will try to comment on at least one class technique a week here. This way I can review the techniques I've learned. I look forward to reading any comments/suggestions/feedback you might have. If you want to do the same thing I will try to return the favour.

Cheers

Last edited by tantantanuki on Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:51 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
tantantanuki

tantantanuki

PostSubject: Re: Technique of the week 1...Inverted Guard Helicopter Sweep   Technique of the week 1...Inverted Guard Helicopter Sweep Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 11:43 am

April 18th- Roleta Inverted Guard Helicopter Sweep

We didn't have a technique session in today's class because the instructor wanted us to have a long rolling session. However, I have been working on this move recently. Below are 3 versions I've found online. I like the first technique best because the entry seems more natural and easier to spin into than the others. I have tried doing this sweep the way shown in the third video but I have had problems a) clearing the head with my leg b) keeping/fitting my lifting leg into position. The way Roleto uses both his hands in the first video also seems to make the entry and sweep easier. The second video uses the pant leg grip but the other hand isn't used to pull/grasp the collar (which seems like it might give extra wiggle room to uke...allowing him to keep his weight back and centered). In general I am trying to get a feel for the leverage point and timing needed. Anyway, I am going to toy with this some more on Wednesday and Friday/Saturday. I'll report back with my progress/thoughts.
Cheers

1st-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD44ZiXuQ6I

2nd-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3DcOGEokp0

3rd-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLCPISd3Sns

Back to top Go down
tantantanuki

tantantanuki

PostSubject: Re: Technique of the week 1...Inverted Guard Helicopter Sweep   Technique of the week 1...Inverted Guard Helicopter Sweep Icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 9:14 pm

I've continued to work on this sweep in drills and while rolling. I think drilling it regularly will help a lot. I need to develop my ability to transition to the inverted position quickly and smoothly. That will come with practice I suppose. While rolling I am focusing on the open-guard set-up to the sweep and timing uke's weight so that I can reach the inverted position with his weight loaded properly. I'm not gonna lie. I haven't been very sucessful with this while rolling. Laughing I am frequently able to sink the inserted leg in from the open-guard start position and get inverted. But my timing always seems off or Uke shifts his weight. The result is that I invert, fail in my attempt to lever him and then have to scramble to avoid side control. But I'm not giving up on this sweep! I think it is a very powerful weapon to have in the open-guard tool box and my open-guard is an area that needs more work. I will continue to drill and practice. I'll also be sure to paste once I start nailing this frequently while rolling...whenever that may be! Smile

Back to top Go down
tantantanuki

tantantanuki

PostSubject: Re: Technique of the week 1...Inverted Guard Helicopter Sweep   Technique of the week 1...Inverted Guard Helicopter Sweep Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 11:15 am

I came VERY close to nailing this move tonight against another blue belt of similar size. I got the insert entry, I grabbed his pant leg, he pushed forward, I grabbed his lapel and then I inverted. So far so good. I even loaded his weight correctly. But when I went to do the pendulum motion with my legs I was a little off and he was able to post a leg (thereby thwarting the sweep). But still! This is real progress. I think I need to pay more attention to the hand I hold his lapel with. If I keep that hand there during the sweep maybe I can use the grip to keep uke bent forward (and loaded)? Or if I release that hand I guess I need to work on a quicker set-up to the pendulum (before uke can posture and post a leg). A couple of things to think about. But as I said, I've made some head-way. More drilling.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
tantantanuki

tantantanuki

PostSubject: Re: Technique of the week 1...Inverted Guard Helicopter Sweep   Technique of the week 1...Inverted Guard Helicopter Sweep Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 11:08 pm

Some follow-up thoughts...

Concept of the Tornado Guard (and the role of the inverted guard helicopter sweep in the Tornado Guard): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7afkv4ih68c&NR=1
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Technique of the week 1...Inverted Guard Helicopter Sweep   Technique of the week 1...Inverted Guard Helicopter Sweep Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Technique of the week 1...Inverted Guard Helicopter Sweep
Page 1 of 1