A forum for the practitioners of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu to share advice on training, equipment, etc. So that we can all become better.

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Technique of the week...3 Ankle Lock

Go down 
AuthorMessage
tantantanuki

PostSubject: Technique of the week...3 Ankle Lock   Tue May 10, 2011 2:04 am

Ankle Lock
May 10th

I've been shown how to do an ankle lock every now and then. But it hasn't been something I've spent time on or even really tried to work on. Well, I have decided that I need to change that. In the warm up drills we are allowed to do 3 newaza techniques of our choice. For the next month or so I am going to Ankle Locks as much as possible. I am not comfortable with my grip or confident in where I grasp uke foot. Also, I need to pay more attention to my legs and body position. Until I can apply an ankle lock quickly and with confidence I am going to keep drilling it.

Grapplearts info:
http://www.grapplearts.com/Ankle-Lock-Breakdown.htm

BjjBenoit
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Technique of the week...3 Ankle Lock   Wed May 11, 2011 2:10 am

I personally like ankle locks for a fight but I find them very dangerous to do in training. The reason for this is the ankle is such a flexible joint that it tends to not hurt until an injury has occured and as a person with I debilitating ankle injury (not bjj related) I can say it sucks. The most important thing with this technique is be careful.

tantantanuki

PostSubject: Re: Technique of the week...3 Ankle Lock   Wed May 11, 2011 4:00 am

It is pretty common for ankle locks (and most leg locks) to be banned for white belt level while sparring. I guess I can understand why.

Some white belts may not appreciate just how dangerous an ankle lock can be. As a result they may try to apply it too quickly or in a sloppy fashion. Also, if you apply an ankle lock on a white belt he/she might get hurt while trying an escape. Knowing when to tap and when to fight on helps reduce these risks. I've had lots of ankle locks applied on me while rolling. When they are 'locked in' and I am not going to escape I tap. When they aren't 'locked-in' I try to wriggle out safely. So far, this has worked for me and I have not had any ankle related injuries. Respect your partner and Respect yourself and I think most people will be ok.

A long standing injury adds a new set of problems for sure. So, if I had a bad ankle I'd likely ask the guys at the club to stay away from the ankle locks. I do this with my left elbow sometimes (if it is acting up). But we can apply them at our club while rolling....with the following rules: white belts aren't supposed to apply ankle locks while rolling and we can't apply ankle locks on white belts while rolling with them. We are all free to practice it as a drill though.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Technique of the week...3 Ankle Lock   

Back to top Go down

Technique of the week...3 Ankle Lock
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
bjj canada :: Tips and Tricks :: Techniques-
Jump to: