A forum for the practitioners of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu to share advice on training, equipment, etc. So that we can all become better.

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Joggers/Runners

Go down 
AuthorMessage
tantantanuki

PostSubject: Joggers/Runners   Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:53 pm

Any joggers or runners out there? I jog 5 times a week. Speed isn't really something I am all that focused on. I am looking to build stamina, blow off some steam and workout the kinks. I am especially fond of trail running. I tend to run a couple of races a year. Anyone else run?

Last edited by tantantanuki on Sun May 22, 2011 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GirlJitsu

PostSubject: Re: Joggers/Runners   Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:02 pm

Honestly? I'm not a runner. I'm not going to pretend I am. But after running out of energy in my second fight at a recent tournament, I am recognizing the need to add on to my current workout plan. I plan on taking a jog with my instructor on Wednesday nights, and building from there. I want to work on interval running - walk, jog, sprint, repeat.

"Little Ninja" due March 11th, 2012!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tantantanuki

PostSubject: Re: Joggers/Runners   Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:35 am

Yeah, I'm not a natural runner either. But now that I have gotten into it I really enjoy running/jogging. When I fall out of my running routine I start feeling like crap. You can find some good training information online at runnersworld. Runnersworld: http://www.runnersworld.com/

Be careful though! Running is addictive! You might end up finding yourself entering races and stuff. Smile Enjoy.

If you wear Nike shoes you might want to look into getting one of the Nike Plus trackers.

Cheers

tantantanuki

PostSubject: Re: Joggers/Runners   Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:18 pm

Just bought new running shoes (Nike Lunarfly 2). They are comfy and I've been logging lots of medium paced runs. I don't have any races planned just yet. But if one comes up over summer I might enter. Depends on how busy I am. Smile

GirlJitsu

PostSubject: Re: Joggers/Runners   Sun May 22, 2011 11:32 am

I have been doing team runs once a week with a few of the members of our club, including the instructor. One of the joggers, a 14-year-old kid, is in wicked good shape so he will sprint up and down the hills while the rest of us try to slog our way up them. Wink On Wednesday we went for a 5 km run from the club, through some back roads and nature trails and back through the neighbourhood again. The back half of the run was pretty much all at a gentle decline, so it made it much easier to finish. Smile I want to go again!

"Little Ninja" due March 11th, 2012!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tantantanuki

PostSubject: Re: Joggers/Runners   Sun May 22, 2011 7:36 pm

Trail running is the best! I do it when I can. Smile Beats the heck out of a treadmill or city street. If that's what charges your battery use it! How many people in your running group?

Big E

PostSubject: Re: Joggers/Runners   Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:09 pm

tantantanuki wrote:
Any joggers or runners out there? I jog 5 times a week. Speed isn't really something I am all that focused on. I am looking to build stamina, blow off some steam and workout the kinks. I am especially fond of trail running. I tend to run a couple of races a year. Anyone else run?

Has running helped you with your stamina in BJJ? I find that I can compete really well against most oponents until I simply become exausted, I am wondering if running will help
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tantantanuki

PostSubject: Re: Joggers/Runners   Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:57 am

I think it has helped my stamina a lot. Not only directly in helping increase muscular endurance and cardiovascular endurance but also indirectly in my mental endurance when pushed to the limit (keeping it together when I am exhausted).

The training goals of most runners are quite different from martial artists but I think some cross-training helps. Especially if you are mixing in some sprints and distance running.

I sugest giving it a try for a month or so and see what kind of results you get (on the road AND ON THE MAT). Log your times/distances and training dates. After the month try to see where you are and if that's where you wanna be.

Good luck.

BjjBenoit
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Joggers/Runners   Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:10 am

I am no expert but I believe the best thing to help with your BJJ endurance will be some sort of interval training where you do short periods of high exertion of about 5 minutes - 10 minutes (the length of a match in competition) followed by a recovery periode of a couple of minutes. With long distance jogging it is important to conserve your energy to allow you to keep going while bjj tends not to give you the option of conserving that energy. Also while training in bjj it is important to recover when you are given the oportunity (ie. you have someone mounted) that way you can have a extra burst of energy when you need it.

All that being said jogging can help you increase your overall fitness level and being more fit is not a bad thing.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Joggers/Runners   

Back to top Go down

Joggers/Runners
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
bjj canada :: Tips and Tricks :: Training-
Jump to: