bjj canada
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the practitioners of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu to share advice on training, equipment, etc. So that we can all become better.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Tips for overcoming weight difference

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
BjjBenoit
Admin
BjjBenoit

Tips for overcoming weight difference Empty
PostSubject: Tips for overcoming weight difference   Tips for overcoming weight difference Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 12:21 am

Well those of you who know me know that being the small guy is not a normal position for me however since I will probably not be dropping out of ultra heavyweight in time for the Ontario open and I will most likely be at a serious disadvantage in the size department. I was wondering how you guys handle facing the big brutes like myself.
Back to top Go down
https://bjjcanada.canadian-forum.com
GirlJitsu

GirlJitsu

PostSubject: Re: Tips for overcoming weight difference   Tips for overcoming weight difference Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 10:45 am

Close your eyes and think of England? Wink

No seriously, I don't think you'd have a harder time facing larger guys because you'll be in the weight class for your approximate body type and size. You probably will have to work on your half guard and open guard a lot more - and DON'T rely on brute strength to get you out of sticky spots (like you might do with smaller guys who are easier to muscle arount). Work proper technique and you'll do fine.
Back to top Go down
Big E

PostSubject: Re: Tips for overcoming weight difference   Tips for overcoming weight difference Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 11:10 pm

Proper technique is the key, as well as keeping calm and remembering to breath. I have muscled my way out a few times but hurt myself doing it, but have also been held down with no way out. I am in no way qualified to give advice, but if you get a chance to work with one of the Blue belts they have great tips, just try to hold one of them down and that becomes apparent very quickly. What amazes me it they can get out of mount or any position with what seems like very little effort.

I still think it is best not to get mounted or caught in side control in the first place!

Good luck
Back to top Go down
GirlJitsu

GirlJitsu

PostSubject: Re: Tips for overcoming weight difference   Tips for overcoming weight difference Icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 8:07 pm

I think Big E has a point too, getting stuck in positions you know you're not so hot at can really suck. So...don't get stuck is the moral of the story, I guess!
Back to top Go down
tantantanuki

tantantanuki

PostSubject: Re: Tips for overcoming weight difference   Tips for overcoming weight difference Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 10:43 pm

Stay calm and keep your head. Look for ways to use uke's weight/momentum against himself. Good luck!

If this is something you want to work on for a future tournament I have a suggestion too. Big guys can often end up with a training imbalance since they spend a lot of time on their top game. Solution? In practice start fighting from 'inferior' positions and practice escapes, and sweeps. Do this as often as possible and focus on using technique.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tips for overcoming weight difference   Tips for overcoming weight difference Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tips for overcoming weight difference
Page 1 of 1