bjj canada
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the practitioners of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu to share advice on training, equipment, etc. So that we can all become better.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Martial arts for MMA

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
BjjBenoit
Admin
BjjBenoit

Martial arts for MMA Empty
PostSubject: Martial arts for MMA   Martial arts for MMA Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 9:40 pm

I believe that BJJ is key to success in the world of MMA but BJJ is not the only martial art out there so that being said what other martial arts are necessary to be successful in MMA.

Muay Thai Kickboxing - Everyone needs some sort of stand up game

Wrestling - A little more brute force than bjj but the wrestling take downs are my opinion the most effective especially with gloves on (very gross motor skills).

Other than that I am not sure what I would say is a recipe for success.
Back to top Go down
https://bjjcanada.canadian-forum.com
tantantanuki

tantantanuki

Martial arts for MMA Empty
PostSubject: Re: Martial arts for MMA   Martial arts for MMA Icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2011 9:53 am

There is a series of videos on youtube called 'the Gracie Breakdown'. These videos analyse the bjj present in MMA matches. The analysis is well explained and thoughtful (so much so that I can understand some of it...and I'm dumb as dirt!) Smile

I am going to post a link to one of the Gracie Breakdowns. In it they discuss the 'arm triangle.' My first exposure to the arm triangle was in this video. After watching it I started noticing arm triangle opportunities more and more often while rolling in class (especially when rolling with people from judo/wrestling backgrounds for some reason). I immediately added it to my bjj tool-box and have had a lot of success with it. Also seems like it would be an even higher percentage move in MMA (because the treat of being punched/elbowed might lead some people to open the door to the attack).

Gracie Breakdown, very cool stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEYfqTsQ4M8
Back to top Go down

Martial arts for MMA
Page 1 of 1